Veteran Readjustment to Civilian Life Difficulties
· Vets with PTSD More Likely to Self-Medicate with Drugs or Alcohol ·
Veteran Resources for Dual Diagnosis Treatment
• What is VA Community Care?
• VA Community Care Process
• Northern California Veteran Services
• Bay Area and Northern California Dual Diagnosis Rehab Locations
• Drug and Alcohol Medical Detox
• Mindfulness Relapse Prevention
• Veteran PTSD Dual Diagnosis Treatment
• Integrated Treatment for PTSD and Addiction
• What is PTSD? – video
• How I Knew I Had PTSD – video
• Veterans: How to Get Help in a Crisis
• Sacramento and Martinez VA Medical Centers
• Veteran PTSD Resources
Veteran Readjustment From War Zones to Civilian Life – Challenging at Best
Returning home is much anticipated and eagerly awaited by all military personnel. But when soldiers return home – they face many challenges.
Many veterans experience significant difficulty in the transition to civilian life. Studies have shown that if a veteran has experienced trauma, significant injury or has PTSD – the chances of drug use or alcohol abuse are much higher.
How Common is Co-occurring PTSD and Substance Use Disorder?
• You are not alone.
• Dual Diagnosis is treatment for PTSD, trauma and more – at the same time as drug and alcohol rehab treatment.
• 27% of Veterans in VA care diagnosed with PTSD – also have substance use disorder (SUD).
• The VA Mission Act allows veteran treatment for dual diagnosis in approved Community Care rehab centers.
• The good news is that integrated dual diagnosis treatment for PTSD and substance use disorder – works.
What is VA Community Care?
VA Community Care
Veterans may be eligible for care through a provider in their local community, depending on their health care needs or circumstances, and if they meet specific eligibility criteria. Even if a Veteran is eligible for community care, they generally still have the option to receive care from a VA medical facility.
Last June, a landmark legislation known as the VA MISSION Act of 2018 made dramatic improvements in how Veterans can receive some aspects of health care. In most cases, Veterans must receive approval from VA before receiving care from a community provider to avoid being billed for the care. VA staff members generally make all eligibility determinations for community care.
New Start Recovery Solutions VA Community Care
Concord CA and Northern California
New Start Recovery Solutions
2449 Pacheco Street
Concord, CA 94520
Our Concord CA. location is conveniently located in a quiet area in East Bay. Our facility there is in a large beautifully upgraded and restored prairie-style home. This location provides a peaceful and home-like recovery environment.
Bangor Residential Treatment Facility
40 Coyote Moon Trail
Bangor, CA 95914
Our Bangor CA. rehab center is located on 15 acres in a tranquil and scenic Northern California rural estate. Our Bangor location has equine therapy with horses and stables on-site. This location has a large outdoor swimming pool with hot tub for relaxing under the stars.
VA Community Care Process
1. Eligibility – VA confirms Veteran’s eligibility to receive community care.
2. Appointments – Veteran or VA staff member schedules appointment with a community care provider.
3. Getting Care – Veteran receives care from a community care provider in the VA network.
4. Billing – Community care provider sends bill to a Third Party Administrator or to the VA for payment.
Valley Division – Sacramento
VA Medical Center
10535 Hospital Way
Mather, CA 95655
916-843-7000 | 855-771-9321
East Bay Division –
Martinez VA Outpatient Clinic
150 Muir Road
Martinez, CA 94553
925-372-2000 | 800-382-8387
Drug and Alcohol Medical Detox
Bay Area and Northern California
In most cases, we can arrange for same day admissions.
New Start Recovery Solutions has 24 hour medical supervision during detox. Our medical detox program helps individuals through physical withdrawal symptoms and provides the medical assistance needed during this rough time.
Mindfulness Meditation for Relapse Prevention
Mindfulness meditation research shows that Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention is effective.
Study results find that mindfulness interrupts reactive behaviors and encourages thoughtful and skillful responses to relapse triggers.
Studies have also shown that alterations in brain and immune function are produced by mindfulness meditation.
With mindfulness practice, new neural networks are created in the brain. Mindfulness meditation is associated with structural changes in areas of the brain that are important for sensory, cognitive and emotional processing.
Symptoms of PTSD
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within one month of a traumatic event. But sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms can cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships. PTSD symptoms can interfere with the ability to go about normal daily tasks.
Symptoms can vary over time. PTSD symptoms also vary from person to person.
How I Knew I Had PTSD
Many times veterans do not know they have PTSD.
They only know things do not feel quite right. How do you know you have PTSD?
New Start Recovery Solutions Integrated Evidence-Based Treatment for PTSD and Addiction
PTSD and Trauma integrated treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions works with the issues of combat stress, addiction, alcohol dependency, depression and other trauma-related disorders. Our evidence-based treatment includes a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy, cognitive processing therapy, EMDR, prolonged exposure, wellness education, mindfulness, yoga and more.
• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
• Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
• Relapse prevention
• Mindfulness and Meditation
• Holistic Therapies
• Educational programs
How Veterans Can Get Help
Make a VA Appointment at Northern California VA for an Addiction Assessment.
If you are a qualifying military veteran located in northern California – there is help available. Most veterans are eligible for VA Health Benefits, which help cover (or cover) the cost of mental health services, including addiction treatment.
• Veterans seeking treatment for substance abuse can start the process by talking with their primary VA health care provider or contacting their nearest Vet Center.
• Get an appointment for a PTSD Dual Diagnosis referral; and ask for Community-based Addiction Recovery Treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
Veteran Alcohol and Substance Abuse Dual Diagnosis Rehab
Evidence-based, Dual Diagnosis Trauma Informed Addiction Recovery.
Northern California VA Services
VA PTSD Resources
• National Center for PTSD
• PTSD Basics: National Center for PTSD
• VA PTSD: About Face – Follow Veterans as they share their experiences with three types of therapy that are proven to work: Prolonged Exposure (PE), Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR).
Northern California Evidence-Based Trauma Informed Whole Person Addiction Recovery
VA Community Care Provider for residential PTSD Dual Diagnosis Treatment
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
Your Life Awaits – Make a New Start Now
New Start Recovery Solutions
2449 Pacheco Street
Concord CA 94520