Mindfulness Stress Relief and Relapse Prevention
Emotional Stability, Resilience and Hope
Resilience: The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; emotional strength.
Reducing Fear and Stress Habitual Reactions
You must DO the things YOU THINK you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
And yet – there are some things that can be done to change personal experience of the coronavirus lockdown. While fear, stress and panic are the first reactions to new, dangerous and stressful situations – panic, fear and stress are not the only possible reactions.
Mindfulness, Stoicism and Inner Balance
We are in the habit of exaggerating, or imagining, or anticipating, sorrow. You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this and you will find strength. ~ Seneca
Many think of the philosophy of Stoicism as meaning ‘no emotion’.
However, stoicism has a lot in common with Mindfulness. And in this time of sickness and uncertainty – the combination of Mindfulness and Stoicism may be just what is needed.
Stoicism doesn’t concern itself with complicated theories about the world. Stoicism encourages us to overcome destructive emotions. And to act on what can be acted upon.
Stoicism is built for action, not endless debate.
The single most important practice in Stoic philosophy is differentiating between what we can change and what we can’t. And, what we have influence over; and what we do not.
Findings from studies suggest that over the course of meditating – long-term practitioners of meditation actually altered the structure and function of their brains, ‘Neuroplasticity and Meditation’.
Below, some instructions to get started in the practice of mindfulness.
If you are feeling overwhelming stress or pressure –
do the following:
- Stop what you are doing. If you need to excuse yourself and walk away to another room or outside – do it.
- Breathe deeply and hold the breath as long as you can. ‘Watch’ your breath. That is: concentrate on breathing as if this is your only activity in the world. And for now, it is.
- Slowly release the breathe. Breathe in slowly and again hold the breath.
- Repeat concentration on slow breathing for 1-2 minutes.
- When it feels comfortable – listen. Just…listen. If you are outside, hear the wind moving in the trees. Notice birdsong or even car noise. Just listen to sounds in your surroundings without making a good/bad judgement.
- The combination of centering by concentrating on the breath and listening to surroundings without involvement – will bring you back to your ‘center’.
- Our center is the place where we can just ‘be’ for a few moments, without any judgement. This is who we really are.
- Centering works to ‘break’ the connection with physical and emotional stress. It returns us to a place of inner peace.
- If an unsettled state of mind cannot be brought back into perspective through this mindfulness exercise – mindfully walk or do something else for a few minutes.
- Repeat Steps 2-5. Inner balance and calm are critical factors to implement during times of severe stress.
East Bay Medical Detox and SUD Rehab Admissions 24/7
• Addiction Never Takes Time Off – and Neither Do We •
Medical Detox Northern California
In most cases, we can arrange for same day admissions.
New Start Recovery Solutions has 24/7 medical supervision during detox. Our medical detox program helps individuals through physical withdrawal symptoms and provides the medical assistance needed during this rough time.
Providing Treatment to Individuals Whose
Lives Have Been Impacted by Addiction
We have implemented all COVID-19 protocols as outlined in CDC Guidelines –
and actively monitor for any needed changes.
New Start Recovery Solutions
Addiction Treatment Programs Available
Medical Detox, Residential Rehab Program,
Dual Diagnosis Integrated Treatment, PTSD and Trauma Treatment,
Functional Alcoholic Rehab, Relapse Prevention, Veteran and Military Dual Diagnosis Center
We are a VA Community Care Provider
East Bay Dual Diagnosis Residential Rehab
Dual Diagnosis or Co-occurring Disorders is a term for people who have both a mental health issue (such as PTSD, depression, trauma, anxiety) and an addiction problem (substance use disorder, or SUD).
Individuals rarely want to take the time needed for residential rehab and addiction recovery. It is easy to use career or other obligations as a reason to avoid getting help.
However, the best chance for recovery is a permanent change in habitual behaviors. Time, education and therapy are required to make permanent behavioral changes.
If you think you may be suffering from a substance use disorder – as well as PTSD, depression, anxiety, trauma or other mental illness (dual diagnosis) – please know that seeking help is the first step to addiction recovery and regaining control of your life.
Bottom Line: The eventual outcome of an escalating addiction will take a lot longer to sort out than taking a few weeks off for rehab.
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other Northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
Your Life Awaits – Make a New Start Now
2449 Pacheco Street
Concord CA 94520
40 Coyote Moon Trail
Bangor, CA 95914