Resources for COVID-19 Homeschooling Families
Stress Relief for Families Schooling at Home
The Reluctant Homeschooling Family
Due to COVID-19 schools delays and closures – many families have become reluctant homeschooling families. Just the idea of being in charge of the education of their child or children generates a huge amount of stress for most families.
The Good News: You are NOT ALONE.
Relax! Help is Available – Your Kids Will Learn
Distance Learning is a viable alternative to traditional school –
and homeschooling is well established in California.
There are Resources to Help!
There is no need to stress about ‘reinventing the wheel.’
Fortunately, there are many strong and thriving homeschooling groups and co-ops in California that are dedicated to helping and working with homeschooling families.
Although your family may not be planning to homeschool forever – your journey will be made easier by using the resources and knowledge accumulated by those who have been homeschooling for many years.
While schooling at home (homeschooling) is not a choice that many parents would make on their own – it is manageable. And eventually, it can be enjoyable (really!).
Advantage of Homeschooling
Many parents choose homeschooling because they are not happy with their child’s school district and/or the curriculum used.
For students whose learning styles do not fit well into traditional schools – homeschooling is an increasingly popular alternative.
Learning Styles – Applied Learning
“If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
There is no doubt that some children learn better by doing. And some children learn best when active. Others need to be engaged with a project using the information to be learned.
Example: Your child learns fractions better by baking a cake; or constructing a carpentry project.
If educating your child at home – there will be opportunities to engage the child in self-directed learning.
- The Homeschool Association of California HSC – Extensive resources on the website; HSC Annual Conference 6-9, 2020
- North State Parent – California the homeschooling Friendly State
- Time4Learning, Homeschooling in California
- California – State Homeschooling Associations
- California Local Homeschooling Groups and Co-ops
- California Charter Schooling for Homeschooling: Inspire Charter School, ILEAD, Sky Mountain.
- Khan Academy – Anyone can learn anything. For free. Despite being a free service, Khan’s online education for K-12 grades is unparalleled.
- Wide Open School – New and improved tips to support learning from home. Resources for families and for educators.
- Wait – But Why? – Mix of informative and humorous articles; making topics like the Fermi Paradox (what?) approachable.
- Outschool – Live Online Classes and Camps. Explore any interest over live video chat! Discover fun, social, and safe learning experiences for kids ages 3-18 led by passionate teachers. Classes from $10. Outschool is committed to supporting those affected by closures in the wake of COVID-19. Browse our free schooling resources for educators, families, and learners.
- Outschool FREE Classes for Families Affected by U.S. Public School Closures – We are making $1,000,000 worth of classes available for free to families in the U.S. who have been impacted by school closures and are facing financial hardship.
- Project Gutenberg – Resource for public domain works, most library systems have ebooks available for loan.
- Exploratorium – online science activities.
- Duolingo – language learning app.
- Cyberchase – elementary math videos.
- Brilliant.org – math and science problems for high schoolers.
- CDC Resource for talking to kids about coronavirus.
- For ideas for family fun that do not involve interacting with people: 250+ Creative Ways to Keep Your Family Sane During the COVID-19 Crisis.
Surprise! You’re Homeschooling! Here are some tips.
By Debra Ross, publisher, KidsOutAndAbout.com and former homeschooler of two young adults
Whether due to COVID-19 or some other unforeseen event, families may find themselves suddenly in the position of educating their kids at home. This can seem daunting or even overwhelming. Here are some strategies to help your family survive, and perhaps even thrive, in this situation.
Homeschooling: How ‘regular school’ parents can homeschool their kids
Invaluable tips for the COVID-19 new homeschooling family.
Home Schooling Answers is brought to you by veteran homeschool professional educators from non-profit iLEAD Schools and Maker Learning Network. The resources at Home Schooling Answers are carefully curated for the parent who needs support fast and is created to be a simplified way to design your homeschooling journey and begin today. We will be regularly adding to and updating the site with new resources during the pandemic.
Homeschooling 101 Getting Started
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness Recovery and Relapse Prevention as well as other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• We accept patients from all areas of the U.S.
• Our substance abuse rehab treatment centers are located in Northern California. If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
Your Life Awaits – Make a New Start Now