Protecting Sobriety, Avoiding Triggers, Preventing Relapse
Holiday Sobriety Tips for Successfully Managing Holiday Stress
- For the average person – holidays can create enormous stress and emotional upset.
- For the newly sober and those in recovery – holidays can create overwhelming emotional upset or even relapse.
- With planning and a determined resolve, holiday stress and upset can be greatly decreased.
- Just possibly – this year could be an enjoyable holiday.
- Or at least, not so upsetting. We look for progress, not perfection!
Holiday Myths and Expectations, Examined
It would be fair to say that many Americans experience a collective cultural ‘mythology’ during the month of December. Unrealistic thinking and beliefs can be an especially serious issue for individuals from dysfunctional family situations. It is important to know and understand potential stumbling blocks before encountering them.
Learn to recognize your holiday stress triggers, such as financial pressures or personal demands, so you can combat them before they lead to a meltdown.
Common Holiday Unrealistic Beliefs
Myth #1: Holidays are a time of joy – and everyone is happy.
Myth #2: Everyone can eat and drink as much alcohol as they want and never suffer ill effects.
Myth #3: I can attend family gatherings and see relatives that always upset me. But due to a ‘Christmas Miracle’ – there will be no ill feeling and all long-standing issues will be happily resolved.
Tips for Sober Holidays – Getting Real and Having Real Fun
Getting Real – and Happy – During the Holidays
Holidays can be stressful – but they are not destined to be depressing. It is vitally important to have a Plan.
Holiday Sobriety Planning Tips
- Make a firm determination and resolve to remain Sober.
- Have Strategies and a Plan for Relapse Prevention in Place; know potential obstacles.
- Use Mindfulness to stay in the present moment.
- Attend support group meetings.
- If family gatherings are too stressful – attend support group meetings and/or spend time with supportive friends.
- Remember self care: Check H.A.L.T. – Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.
- Mindfully acknowledge and work with emotions – do not ‘bury’ unpleasant emotions.
- Allow yourself to have Real Fun – Sober. Create new sober holiday traditions.
- Give Thanks: Implement Gratitude as an Attitude whenever possible.
- Sobriety is the Priority. (And have a back-up plan in place).
Drug and Alcohol Rehab Options, East Bay and Northern California
In the Northern California area – New Start Recovery Solutions has convenient locations for Medical Detox, Residential or Outpatient Alcohol and Drug Addiction Treatment with Dual Diagnosis (Co-occurring Disorders) Integrated Treatment.
Alcohol and Drug Addiction Causes Serious Problems
If your family is experiencing the effects of a loved one’s addiction, it is time to take the necessary steps to get help. New Start Recovery Solutions can help you with alcohol and drug rehab.
If PTSD or any form of mental illness is also involved (depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder and more) – it is critical to make certain the recovery center you choose has Dual Diagnosis treatment.
Dual Diagnosis is also known as ‘co-occurring disorders’ in substance use disorders (SUD) treatment.
Mindfulness with Whole Person Addiction Recovery
Long-term addiction recovery is dependent on discarding habitual behaviors – and instead engaging in new sober activities. Mindfulness means having the internal focus to be quietly aware of your own thoughts and impulses – without judgment or acting on the impulses.
Clients are introduced to new habits, rituals, and wellness techniques for mind, body and spirit. Holistic recovery in the residential program at New Start Recovery Solutions includes core addiction treatment along with mindfulness practices, yoga, tai chi and positive psychology.
Northern California Evidence-Based Whole Person Addiction Recovery
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
Your Life Awaits – Make a New Start Now!
New Start Recovery Solutions
2449 Pacheco Street
Concord CA 94520